Monday, November 14, 2016

Skyrim SE: The Demure Dragonborn Level 01 Strategy


I love the open world of Skyrim and all the vastness of its possibilities. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my previous post I'm "a bit of this - a bit of that" kind of person.  In my first go-around I found myself spread too thin with regards to my character build and it became a tad confusing. This time I've narrowed down my focus to those things I really love and though I'll probably never follow one of the character archetypes I know it's going to be a lot of fun.

Defining My Style

Given that I've identified myself as the "Demure Dragonborn" it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that I'd much rather craft than fight. Smithing, Alchemy and Enchanting are not only a pleasure but are going to bring me both wealth and protection.

Speaking of protection, I definitely don't want to wander around Skyrim as a defenseless fool.  I also want a modicum of magic in my life, I mean who wouldn't!

I intend to be fleet of foot using light armor with a sword in one hand and spells in the other.  I'm also going to rely on my potions & enchanted items to pick up any slack where my spells and/or skills are lacking.

During my initial researching (something I never even thought to do the first time around)  I was pleasantly surprised at the wealth of Skyrim Character Builds that are out there.  The time & effort people have spent analyzing & documenting their characters is amazing.  Hopefully I've managed to incorporate some of the best ideas into my own strategy.


Race

I'm going with Breton;  human & magical at the same time, not too big & not too small but, as Goldilocks might say, just right.  I also appreciate their "proficiency in abstract thinking".  If I'm going with brains not brawn that should definitely help.

Magicka: Health: Stamina is 1:1:1


Standing Stone

I'm starting out with The Mage Stone but may switch over to The Lord Stone after my magicka training is well underway.

Skill Set

A wonderful aspect of Skyrim is that no matter what race you choose, your character is open to A LOT of refinement through the skills that you choose.  Here's what I plan to work towards for Level 58.  We'll see if I change my mind along the way.

SMITHING: Steel, Eleven, Advanced. Glass
ONE HANDED: Armsman 5/5, Fighting Stance, Bladesman, Critical Charge, Savage Strike
LIGHT ARMOR: Agile Defender 5/5, Custom Fit, Unhindered, Wind Walker, Matching Set
SPEECH: Haggling
ALCHEMY: Alchemist 5/5, Physician, Benefactor, Green Thumb
CONJURATION: Novice, Apprentice
DESTRUCTION: Novice, Apprentice, Augmented Shock, Dual Casting, Adept
ALTERATION: Novice, Apprentice, Magic Resistance, Adept
ENCHANTING: Enchanter, Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter, Extra Effect.

Followers


You gotta have friends!!  This is especially important if your fighting skills. like mine, are a tad weak.  Also, hauling all that loot around gets tiresome and followers make excellent pack mules.

As soon as possible I'm going to hire and then marry Marcurio.  He's an imperial destruction mage who knows how to keep out of the way in a fight.  We were married in my previous life and I loved how I could wander the fields picking flowers while he blasted the wolves into bits.  The daily home cooked meal, lover's comfort, my share from his store, and ability to buy merchandise at home are also grand.

Speaking of keeping out of the way in a fight, my experience with Lydia was that she was always running ahead and getting herself killed forcing me to restart to keep her alive.  Nevertheless I've developed a soft spot for her and intend to make her my personal steward.

Finally I'm going to need a housecarl because someone has to defend the homestead when I'm away!


Home Sweet Home

By now you've probably figured out that my favourite add-on  is Hearthfire.  My first go-around (before Hearthfire) saw me taking the tradition route of living as a wanderer before buying Breezehome and eventually expanding my real estate from there.  I ended up with most of the Skyrim city properties as well as Lakeview Manor.

Being homeless was painful; having to haul ingredients and travel to forges, alchemy & enchanter stations; having to sell my loot immediately.  I'm definitely a homebody not a wanderer.

Moving items from one house to the next was painful.  Who knows what I left in various barrels & boxes along the way.

This time things are going to be simple.  One of my first priorities is building a home, adding all the amenities, and then sticking to it.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how my garden grows!



So that pretty much sums up my initial strategy.  I'll keep you posted on developments along the way as I start to level-up the with next installment being all about Lakeview Manor. 

In the meantime, I'd love to hear about your own adventures & experiences.  Have you ever play a more "demure" character?  How did it go?


___________________________________________________________
Skyrim SE: The Demure Dragonborn Level 01 Strategy by  on 2016-11-15 Skyrim SE Strategy: I've narrowed my focus & it's going to be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment